Sunday 18 February 2007

The week gone by.......

Well, I am sitting in my study looking out of the window onto the beautiful Ochil Hills and on a gorgeous Scottish day - sun shining, blue skies and whispy white clouds - thank goodness it is mid-term and the schools are on holiday .... although I have to go back to work on Tuesday for teacher inservice training (what a skive .. joke ... a very valuable use of my time NOT!!)

I have just had my usual weekend chat on the phone to my dad who is busy preparing the Sunday Dinner. I have a knack of phoning when the meal is being prepared and for some unknown reason (hahahaha) ... I happen to :-
a) get an invite for a family Sunday dinner .. or ...
b) invite myself for a family Sunday dinner!!
.... today it was the former of the two .... although dad did mention that my wee sis will be there with her boyfriend too ... well .. I suppose I can manage to be civil at the dinner table!! (he is a pratt ... a likeable pratt .. but a pratt nonetheless)

I was a bit of a NUMPTY during the week and feel compelled to tell you about it!! I was at work and received an email from a colleague at another establishment inviting me for a coffee, cake and bit of banter at a cafe a few miles away. I decided I was in need of this and so abandoned my staff (who were busy absorbing some of the latest IT technology to hit schools) and off I drove.

The meeting time was 4.15pm and I arrived with about 5 minutes to spare. I amazingly got parked in the main street of Auchterarder (quaint Perthshire town close to Gleneagles Hotel) and I trotted down to "Cafe Kisa". I made a point of looking around the said establishment for my colleagues but thought I must be first to arrive and was directed to a table for 3 beside the window so that I could see my friends arriving.

The place was quite busy with a few mums and their screaming offspring to my left, an elderly gentleman who was obviously hard of hearing and tended to shout, in front of me, a few ladies who lunch dotted around the place and a large table of foreign students having a natter in what sounded like French ... to my untrained ear.

At 4.30pm the "nice" waitress asked, "Do you think your friends have forgoten you?" in a smarmy and condecending way. I laughed and said they had probably been caught in traffic - the A9 is full of road works at the moment. At 4.40pm I was getting funny looks from the staff and decided I had better order something as I was beginning to look like a bit of a numpty on my tod in the cafe!!! I left the cafe after a lovely latte and an "Itallian" toasted sandwich and salad - having eaten ALONE!!




The following day I emailed the said colleagues and found out that I had missed a further email telling me the meeting was scheduled for Wednesday and not the Tuesday in which I had gone. Asking if I was joining them .... I replied NO ... there is no way I could have gone back to the cafe, as nice as it was, for fear of ridicule from the staff :o) I'll give it a good few months before I darken their doorstep again.

I can however reccommend "Cafe Kisa" in the high street of Auchterarder for a pleasant coffee and a light bite to eat.

The next coffee, cake and banter afternoon will be organised by me ... I am less likely to make a balls-up of the time/day if I do the booking myself :o)

No comments: