Sunday 18 November 2007

Awful week and worse weekend!

After making such a great recovery from major surgery, and with things looking all rosey and bright, things started to take a turn for the worse!

Dad was doing so well and looking so well in HDU that the decision was made to take him to his side room on the ward to recover. Big mistake!!! Things started to go downhill and he was in great amounts of pain and discomfort. He worked through it and 2 days later was feeling better. I got a phone call the next day to tell me that he was back in HDU and things were looking bad. I didn't realise just how bad that actually was until Friday.

A txt came through on my mobile to tell me that Dad had been transferred from Perth HDU to Dundee Intensive Care Unit by ambulance, with emergency doctor with all lights and sirens blaring! Things were not right at all and he may need yet more surgery.

I was with Mum when we got a call about an hour later to say that he was in Intensive Care and was settling comfortably. I went to visit friends and about 30 minutes later, Mum phoned; the surgeon had called to say Dad had deteriorated drastically and could not wait any longer, he would have to operate immediately. We were assured that it was pointless making our way to Dundee again as he would be in theatre and be sedated until the morning.

Mum and my sister went to see him first thing yesterday and were pulled aside by the doctor when they arrived. He had had his gall bladder drained but because it had been so enlarged it had been pressing everything upwards inside Dad and his kidneys were not working. Huge amounts of toxins were in his bloodstream and the MRSA was highly active. It was at this point he told Mum and wee Sis that he might not survive and to expect the worse!

Mum called me and I called round the family and friends to let them know the situation. Tears streaming down my face and voice cracking .... it was tough ... and I wanted to be there for Mum so couldn't show how upset I actually was at the news. My brother is out in the Maldives at the moment but we decided he had to know and she called him.

I went in with Mum and Aunt today. I never thought I would say this but THANK GOD Dad is a stubborn git!!!!! LOL He had a really good night in Intensive Care and whilst we were there today he came off the ventillator and had the breathing tubes removed. He was just about to have 4 hours of dialysis to purify his blood as the kidneys are not working. This will continue as long as the kidneys take to work again, if they start again at all.

He is still in a critical condition and things have a VERY long way to get back to where they were only last week, but I was so relieved after seeing and speaking to him today. There are monitors and screens and wires and tubes everywhere but I know he is in the best place possible for him at the moment.

To cap things off, when I was visiting friends on Friday night (before all the phone calls) another friend arrived unannounced. He had just come from hospital in Glasgow (despite what it seems .... we are not all ill buggers up here LOL) with the news that after bleeding from his eyes and having had numerous tests and scans etc over a week in hospital, he has been told he has a tumour that cannot be operated on and has between 3 and 6 months to live! FFS .. WHAT THE FUCK HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE ALL OF THIS ??????? I just feel that my whole world is crashing around my ears at the moment. Famiy and friends are great and VERY supportive ... thankfully! I think I'd be a greetin' wreck if they weren't.

I apologise for not visiting and posting as much as normal and apologise for not chatting to those I normally spend hours talking to, I have been a little "short" with some folks and ... I just have one or two things on my mind :o) hahahaha ... if I didn't laugh I'd cry :o) xxxxxxxx

17 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

(((((((((((Scottie))))))))))) Jebus mary muvver of whothebloodyhell ever..... Oh my, Scottie...... I just wanna give you a huge big hug for real....... I had tears running down my face reading your post, and, I'll tell ya now, that aint no easy feat..... just so glad to here that your dad pulled through.... Im keeping everything crossed for him, and will keep you especially in me thoughts.....

and shit about your matie :( Im so very very sorry for you all..... especially for him........ if ya ever need a sounding board ya can email me and I will ring ya, or if ya ever need an ear to listen ya only need to ring me night or day matie..... I mean it.... I have huge fucking listening ears.....

((((((Scottie and McTavish-thats ya dad lol)))))))))OXOXOXOOXOX

Scots said...

I will pass your thoughts to McTavish (that made me laugh so much lol) when I see him tomorrow!

Don't you be shedding any ... I've been holding it together quite well as I feel being the eldest, I kinda need to be there for everyone ... but I've had a few private moments to myself when no-one's looking :o)

I am able to blurt out everything on here which is a blessing. I am careful what I say around the famly and look to the positive when they are upset, but I need to get it out of my system too and this place is perfect!

MEGA thanks for the kind and caring words and I am looking forward to the hugs :o) lol I may take you up on the offer of the 'listening lugs' but it takes a lot for me to talk about my feelings :o)

luv 'n' hugs xxxx

Pam said...

(((((scottie love))))))i don't know even know what to say. all this news saddens me so. i'm w marmy keeping everything crossed for your dad, too.

as for your mate, i'm so sorry for you and for him. i can't even imagine what it's like to bleed out of your eyes and just reading that i knew it wasn't good.

you have my email, too, so feel free to email me also if you need to. i have 'huge fucking listening ears', too lol i'll be thinking bout all of you. xoxoxo

p.s. i know you gotta be strong for others, but don't hold too much inside, k? it's not good for you.

His Girl Friday said...

I may be new to the group, but I'm in with MarmyT and Ciara!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you and you fam/friend!!!! Add some more huge fecking listening ears!!! :DDDDDDxox

MarmiteToasty said...

Jebus, what you have here (((Scottie))) is a herd of fricken huge eared DUMBOs LMFAO....

love you to this monday morning... and to McTavish of course.. and ya matie....

x

His Girl Friday said...

Weesht! Awa and go boil yer heid ya Portugese Troll... Scots'll huv none ay yer manky nonsense!!

MarmiteToasty said...

I thik that foreign post is advertising them new fangled double ribbed feather weight chewable strawberry flavours condoms LMFAO

x

Pam said...

marmy-excuse me, but i cannot fly, therefore i ain't no dumbo lol

get lost ya freakin troll...you know who you are.

Scots said...

I LUV you lot soooooo much xxxxxxxxx

Just back from the hospital. He is still critical but the number of machines he was hooked up to has decreased - that can only be a good thing!!! He is mega depressed and highly drugged up with morphine and didn't really look at us tonight which was a bit upsetting but he did give a wave when we left .... so he was listening :o)

Thanks again for your kind words ... you are a tonic and bring many smiles to a sad face lol

PS ... McTavish had my mum in stitches with laughter .. I'll explain it to dad when he's out of intensive care xxxxxxx

Pam said...

well, less machines is surely a good sign i would think. i guess he's a bit depressed because he'd probably rather be at home! he sounds like a real trooper to me :) ok, i'm lost....explain McTavish lol

His Girl Friday said...

Hopefully the need for the meds as well as the need for the machines will lesson, and his kidneys will get going again; one day at a time, but I'm sure he's fighting for you all!!! As for your friend, please keep us posted...experts have been wrong before, and we should never underestimate the power of the mind to want to live!!! Here's hoping the best!!!:)))))

_________________________________
_________________________________

not to make light, but if not crying then laughing, X
....now for some 'tongue in cheek'...

Scots, close your 'ears'
....Ciara, MT, I can't fly either, but ummm, I love strawberries! ;D

MarmiteToasty said...

LOL@love strawberries........ :) just not the chewable kind thou LOL

x

newplanet said...

Man, what a time of it you are all having and I have no clue how you are managing to keep it together - although I suspect it's because you're a close-knit and loving family (and tough as old tackety boots)!

And don't you dare apologise for nipping off for a few days or for using your blog as therapy ;-) That's what it's all about, after all.

Thinking of you.

G xx ;-)

MarmiteToasty said...

Less machines are wellabit good...... now, ya should McTavish in a knitting machine and make him at least be productive :) ((((Scottie and McTavish)))))

X

MarmiteToasty said...

take TAKE T A K E...... jebus missing words out..... what a dinlo

x

Jen said...

Scots, you and your family and friend are in my prayers. I'm hoping for the best for you all.

Anonymous said...

Just sending you love and hugs mr.

Canal

XXX