Tuesday 7 August 2007

I love my job!!!

I love my job! Jeez - how often do you hear that eh? lol

Teaching has to be one of the most rewarding careers around! I have been teaching primary school kids (aged 5 - 12) for the past 11 years in some fantastic schools. Some of the schools have been in very challenging and deprived areas but this has made the job even better.

I have had my fair share of kids swearing at me, throwing chairs and desks at me, sticking up the fingers, threatening parents (one with an German Shepherd dog at my classroom door) and a whole host of nasties ...... but the good always outweigh the bad. Sure I have thought about jacking the whole lot in - but then all it takes is one single kid to say something to you as they pass in the corridor and I have forgotten all the crap and I'm all singing and dancing again!

I think I was a good class teacher, the parents and kids certainly thought so and as I was promoted I guess my bosses though so too. I went from the newest member of staff in the school to the 2nd in charge! I feel my head growing already!! ha ha ha

Now, after a move to a new school, new local authority and a new promotion I don't get into the classrooms often enough to teach much :o( I have to spend too much time in my office dealing with paperwork, the authority, admin issues, budgets etc etc etc The good thing about this though (every cloud has a silver lining) I get to work with some of the most angry kids [that was NOT a typo] who can't stay in a class too long before causing a whole heap of trouble and disruption. These are the kids who need that extra time to build a trust before they can achieve their full potential - that's where I come in.

Some of the "playground hard lads" who end up at my office because they have been fighting, or been disruptive etc etc have a tale to tell and some are desperate for an adult to just listen to them and not to judge them. Some of these kids have gone through more in their 12 years of life than I have in my 33. I take the time to chat, offer the olive branch, give them a chance to get out of the corner they've backed themselves into, be honest and build up a mutual respect and trust.

I had spent a great deal of last year working with one lad who has deep issues that he eventually opened up to me about. That particular morning was very emotional and he cried for over an hour, I shed a few tears myself but he said that he wouldn't tell anyone I was a "crybaby" flashing a cheeky smile, if I didn't tell about him - through all the emotion he still had a sense of humour! He hadn't spoken to anyone else about this but felt that, after a few months of chatting and listening, he could open up to me. We worked hard together and got through a difficult year. He has now left to go to secondary school and I have had meetings with the staff there to make sure all the support he needs is in place for him after the holidays. He is one lad I am extremely proud of.

My Gran keeps asking when I'm going to get married and have kids - I keep telling her that I already have over 200 kids but I am in the enviable position of handing them all back at 3pm hahahahaha

Jeezo .... anyways .... I got a lovely letter delivered from his parents thanking me for my "kindness and patience" all year with 'X' and for building a "trusting relationship". I had a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye when reading the rest of the letters contents. I worked with the kid because I could see through the bravado and tough image and see a cry for help - NOT for praise and recognition! Thank god the rest of the kids don't know about this blog or my tough reputation would be in tatters!! hahahaha. Being one of only two males in the school has it's advantages, even the 'pushiest' kids tred wearily LOL (that was not meant to sound sexist btw)

Teaching young kids is a priviledge! To those teachers who complain, stifle creativity, over burden children and stamp out enthusiasm (sadly I see too many teachers like this) - Get out of our schools, give yourself a rest and give our kids the best chance in life! Education is about being fun and enjoyable, it's about motivated children who take an active interest and who become independent learners ... It's NOT about "chalk and talk" - thankfully those days are long gone.

3 comments:

Pam said...

you are very good for the kids...very committed. i'm glad that you offer the olive branch because sometimes that's all that kids want...is to be heard. i commend you for a job well done. unfortunately, there are still some places where teachers just don't give a damn like in Las Vegas. My son even had a teacher tell his class that he didn't really care whether they learned or not (high school). lot of things going on w the school system there that would just take too long to explain, but it's good to see there are people who care such as yourself. xo

Jen said...

I love teaching, too. It's true that it only takes that one student's appreciation to make up for all of the challenges. Thanks for sharing about your experiences. It's so encouraging to read positive things about educators.

Starting in the fall I will be teaching kindergarten in the mornings and 7th and 8th grade math and science in the afternoons. That should make for some good blogging! :)

Scots said...

I am looking forward to reading about your adventures Jen!

Ciara - some teachers really need to think about what they are doing in a class full of children eager to learn when they are so obviously remaining there to boost the pension!

I was going to come across to the big ol' US of A when they were looking for teachers to teach in places like the bronx - commitments kept me here though.

I was interviewed for a FABBY job in Tortola and one in Mustique ..... oh ... if only I had got one of those LOL

ps - keep the sun .... I got sunburnt yesterday in a friends garden drinking wine and having a laugh! I am sore today!! I got burnt and she didn't - just my luck!