Sunday 22 July 2007

Feeling kinda grumpy, kinda down in the dumpy!

Why? Why can things never go smoothly when it comes to my life? - oops, a little over dramatic there LOL

Back in the distant past, well okay ... a few months ago, my dad went through a pretty horrific time and was in hospital for a number of weeks and for a wee time, on a ventillator in intensive care, things were touch and go!

He's been out of the hospital for a good few weeks now and is recovering at home from his ops with the help of family, friends and the district nurses - all of whom have been angels xxx.

He has been building his strength back up for the final operation to reverse a stoma op and fix a tear in his small intestine - he's had an open wound and drains since leaving the hospital ... these have caused him some discomfort and a lot of hassle.

On Friday he and my mum drove to the hospital to speak to his surgeon about the final stage of the operation and were smacked in the face with some really bad news! Unknown to my dad (the docs hadn't told him) he has an aneurysm close to his heart that must be operated on before it perforates and kills him! No operation to reverse the stoma op he had can be done before the aneurysm is treated.

I was not reallly clued up on what an aneurysm actually was but the phrase "...perforates and kills him ..." kind of made me think it is serious. I had to find out more so have, probably very stupidly, gone to the internet in search of information.

An aneurysm is the swelling of an artery wall, a bit like a balloon. If it continues to grow it obviously becomes more unstable and can rupture, causing the unthinkable or start to press againt internal organs or the spine. I stopped reading the information on the NHS site as I got to .. "the risk of death from surgery is sometimes greater than the risk of the aneurysm itself."

I don't mind admitting on here, as I know my family don't read this, I am fucking petrified! He has a CAT scan to determine the size of the aneurysm in the next couple of weeks. Usually under a certain size it is not operated upon, but due to the need for surgery i.e. dad having a gaping open wound needing repaired, not operating is not really an option!

After his last stint of time in the hospital I had a check up at the docs and had the all clear from anything un-toward, but I think the doc and I are about to get re-acquainted pretty soon. I hate the docs and don't ever go unless I really have to. I think on this occasion I may need to have another more thorough check-up. Although in saying that I have had a niggling and annoying "thing" wrong with me for years and it needs surgery, but I haven't spoken to my doc a) because I hate the docs and hospitals, b) beacuse I am not having someone putting me to sleep - that is VERY unnatural and c) male pride and embarrassment.

The last time I was in a hospital (6 years ago when I couldn't eat and lost a stone in weight in a week ... about 7kg - as I only weigh 10 stone, that was a bit drastic. Even the smell of food made me run for the bathroom) I had to have an endoscopy (camera down my throat into my stomach and duodenum and a few biopsies - thankfully nothing but stress was the cause of my symptoms) I was so bothered about needles in the back of my hand and being put to sleep that I refused any anaesthetic and had it done in surgery with none - not really an experience I want to go through again ... but I wasn't trusting my sleep and re-awakening to someone else! - an irrational fear I know, but a fear none-the-less!!! Thankfully my surgeon at the time was willing to do this and he was fantastic .... the discomfort was minimal.

Here's hoping that all goes well for my 'old man' and that everything is a success and I better make an appointment to speak to my own doc! Oh the joy! And a wee tip ... don't use the internet to look up medical information unless you are really prepared for all the uncensored gory facts!!!

8 comments:

Pam said...

(((scotz n dad)))surgery is ALWAYS a scary thing, especially when you're put to sleep and not sure if ur gonna wake up. i have been put under a few times lol once for a very scary situation, but the rest were for other outpatient surgeries. if everything goes well w an ultrasound and possible biopsy, i'll be put under for another procedure. won't go into details as it's a womanly thing lmao.

aneurysms are a well scary thing...it's a catch 22. if u don't operate there's the possiblity of it bursting and internal bleeding BUT as w any surgery, there is always the risk of death. i'm thinking i would risk the surgery just to know i tried.

anyways, i will be thinking bout you all. keep us posted please xoxo

Jen said...

Scots, scary stuff. Your family will be in my prayers.

I had an endoscopy last year and it was the wierdest thing ever to wake up without even realizing I was asleep and not knowing what they had done to me. But I don't think I could have done it awake.

MarmiteToasty said...

((((scotties dad))))))) cripes matie..... fingers and toes and landing flaps crossed for you both ...... and looking up on the internet is a big no no.... I mistakedly looked up my forthcoming op.... and I almost pooped meself..... dam and bugger, those scottish doctors......

and scottie is your 'little bit of bother' to do with your left testicle? lol

much love to you and your dad......x

Scots said...

Ciara - the very thought of someone telling me that I am going to have to go to sleep and deciding when to wake me is terrifying! Thnaks for the kind words ad I too will be thinking about you with your "womanly thing" LOL

Jen - many thanks!!! The endoscopy was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever had done but I couldn't have had the anaesthetic ... they sprayed some "freeze" on my throat to help me with the camera tubes, but I was out of the hospital 20 minutes after coming out of the theatre. Being a bit of a work-a-holic, I was back at work the next day too.

Marm - Cheers babes! Just a wee request ... can you keep the toes and fingers crossed ... but keep the landing flaps to yourself! LMFAO. AND .. there are no probs with the left or right testicles PMSL - bloody cheek!

MarmiteToasty said...

:) to late, they are so crossed they have knotted themselves up LOL

oh, not the testicles then? ok, oh my, its something anal? LMFAO....

x

MarmiteToasty said...

ps....... if it is, then might I suggest you nip out this week and get a tattoo on your bum which reads 'exit only' LOL...

x

Scots said...

Marm ... ya filthy git .... thankfully ... the rear end is in perfect working order too LMFAO and there aint no way I would be inviting any doctor, no matter how skilled and experienced, to put anything UP something made for things coming DOWN ROFLMAO

Pam said...

lmao @ mel...scotz, trust when i say mel's landing flaps are permanently crossed lol btw u sound like my husband..been trying to get him to get a yearly physical but he'll have none of it (he doesn't want anything up, near, or around his bum)lmao