Sunday 1 July 2007

WHY??

I sat in shock watching the terrible terror attack on Glasgow Airport unfold yesterday. I felt a false sense of security up here in Scotland, well away from the power base of the UK and all previous terror attacks. How wrong was that!

This is the first terror attack in Scotland. Even through all of the troubles in Northern Ireland, when Britain was under threat of attacks, Scotland was never touched. I am actually struggling to come to terms with some insane fundamentalists targetting a busy airport, in summer, on the first weekend of the school holidays when families are heading to sunnier climates.



Two men drove a large 4x4 vehicle into the main terminal building just after 3pm yesterday (Saturday 30th June 2007). I have been to Glasgow airport many times and how they managed to pull this off, I have no idea! Thankfully the vehicle never got into the building and both occupants of the 4x4 were arrested by police. I dread to think what would have happened if a 4x4 truck laden with petrol and gas canisters was to have entered the terminal.

Thankfully no one was injured, apart from one of the occupants of the 4x4. You can read more about the detailed facts here.

Terror has come to Scotland! I could get all political now but I shan't - I'll keep my thoughts to myself for the moment. BUT .... (I knew I couldn't keep quiet for long) it does reek of hypocrisy that our former Prime Minister, who took us into an illegal war in Iraq, has the audacity to become our Middle East PEACE envoy!!! Are his actions coming back to haunt us all? Is the fact that another Scottish man is now Prime Minister? (Tony Blair was born in Edinburgh) Is it time we left Iraq and stopped trying to impose our democracy onto others? All I do know for certain is that I don't want to be constantly looking and wondering .. 'is that suspicious?' ... 'should I report that?' ...

2 comments:

Tim said...

uh they hated you and i long before iraq, and even before 9/11. I mean didn't you already colonize pakistan once? your dealing with fanatics that really don't need a reason. Hell they are still pissed about being kicked out of spain in the 1400's thats kind of hard to reason with i think.

Scots said...

The British Colonies were vast back in the day but how that can be related to what is happening now is a mystery to me! BUT .... you're right zeke, hard line fundamentalists can't be reasoned with!