Monday 9 April 2007

Our Road Trip


Well, yesterday was a laugh and a half - I met up with two friends (to make up "The Three Amigos") and we had decided to take an Easter tirp to Landmark ... no not the furniture place ...... HUH!!

Well I set off at the ungodly hour of 8am ... OMG .. and on a Sunday too ... I never usually surface before mid-day FFS and headed to Crieff "The Holiday Town" ha effin ha to meet with me mates.

8.59am and we set off. Stopped and had brekkie at the House of Bruar - because by 10am I was effing starved but at £3.50 for a bacon roll .... my imagnation had to take control and turn that buttie into an imaginary full English fry-up!!! Ah well .. never mind.

Off we set again and we came across the Highland Wildlife Centre ... so we popped in .. I say popped in ... but at £10 a head I was expecting a lot!!! (am I reinforcing the Scots are a tight bunch of gits stereotype?? haha)

I knew from the first 20 minutes that I was gonna be a disappionted lad .... I think most of the animals were on an Easter break. I did however manage to see some red deer, buffalo, wolves, reindeer, wild boar and mountain goats but by the time we were finished ... and frozen solid in the windchill factor of about -50 (slight exaggeration) lunch was on our mind and we set off again for our destination.

I don't know when it happened ..... but we decided to head for Inverness instead - why, you may ask ..... I have no idea ... the sign said Inverness so we headed in that direction! As you may have guessed ... a day out with us is like a day out with The Clampetts!! PMSL



I said I wanted to go to Loch Ness ..... and that was the next stop on this magical mystery tour - I wondered if Nessie was gonna make a star appearance .. but NO ... like the animals in the Wildlife Centre .. she too was a bit shy and probably underwater eating her Easter eggs. The view was amazing though ....

After that we drove down the edge of Loch Ness all the way to Fort William. We stopped there for the necessary "pee break" .. well after a 100 mile trip down Loch Ness .. it was needed!! I aint the type of lad to pull up in a layby, unzip and let flow ... I need my comforts ;-)

It was getting on now ... must have been about 4pm when we set off again and for some bizarre reason .... Tam (the driver for this road trip) headed for Oban!!! Now I am not saying that he likes to drive fast .... but we "landed" in Oban a wee while later and sought out a restaurant that wasn't fully booked with the Easter Sunday brigade. (oh how unplanned were we ffs) We did manage to find a nice eatery and sat down to a nice meal.

After filling up with our fuel ... the car needed the same and off we trotted to the garage. The nice chap behind the counter gave me another good Scottish word to use ..... HEE HAW!! We were about to buy a newspaper and he replied "I wouldn't bother ... there's 'hee haw' in it today!" That was the word for the rest of the trip home!! Here is Vicki leaning out of the car, travelling rather fast shouting "hee haw" and me leaning further out of the back window taking her piccy .... NUTTERS!!!

Anyways ... this is beginning to ramble ... so I'll bring it to a close .... I got back home at after 9pm having travelled about 400 miles all around the north of Scotland .. but having had a great laugh!! Tam and Vicki .. thank you for cheering me up BIG TIME!!

No comments: